- Post 25 November 2011
- Hits: 10549
There are 6 main events in S.S.A.A. Target Pistol (Bulls-Eye). The matches are each based around a class of handgun.
The following is a general overview only. Please consult the rulebook for full details.
- Any .22 calibre pistol or revolver - may be any .22 pistol using any .22 rimfire cartridge having an overall length of not more than 1.1 inches or a projectile heavier than 40gns. Barrel length including cylinder not more than 10 inches. Trigger pull not less than 2lbs. Any sights including telescopic and red dot are permitted, with the exception of sights that project an image on to the target. Iron sights not over 10 inches apart.
- Standard Smallbore pistol .22 cal rimfire - may be any .22 rimfire pistol - metallic (iron) sights only. May have orthopaedic grips. Trigger pull not less than 2lbs.
- International Mayleigh - same as Any .22 calibre pistol or revolver.
- Distinguished Revolver - a revolver capable of chambering and firing a 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter .38 special cartridge. Revolver must be factory manufactured with no external modifications except for stocks. Stocks are to be factory or as near as possible a mirror image left and right - (no orthopaedic grips). Barrel length not to exceed 6 1/2 inches. Fixed or adjustable rear sights may be used - no adjustable foresights allowed. Trigger must have single and double action capability and be of not less than 2 1/2 lb pull weight, tested in the single action mode. Ammunition is to be .38spl/357mag 158 grain round nose or semi-wadcutter lead alloy projectile only.
- Any Centrefire Pistol or Revolver - any centrefire pistol of .32 / 7.65 calibre or larger, barrel length including cylinder not more than 10 inches. Trigger pull not less than 2 1/2 lb. Any sights including telescopic and red dot are permitted, with the exception of sights that project an image on to the target. Iron sights not over 10 inches apart.
- U.S. Pistol M9 - a Beretta 92 9mm pistol of the U.S. issue type or a commercial pistol of the same type and calibre. Barrel not less than 4.9 in. or longer than 5in. Overall length not less than 8.52in or longer than 8.62 in. Sights no more than 7.25 in. apart. Stocks no more than 1.5in. wide and may not be of a wrap around design. Tape may be used on the fore strap and grip rear, but may not be wrapped around the grip. Trigger of not less than 2 1/2 lb pull weight . A long list of modifications is permitted - including replacement barrels, slides and sights.
There are 3 types of matches shot in S.S.A.A. Target Pistol
- National Match Course- 30 shots at 25and 50m
- 900 Match Course- 90 shots at 25 and 50m
- International Mayleigh Match- 30 shots at 50m
for specific details of the courses of fire, consult the guide to NRA Target Pistol rules.
With the exception of the Mayleigh Match which is shot on the International Slow Fire Target the National Match course and the 900 course are shot on the NRA B6/8 target. The current sample of this we have available in Australia is erroneously marked F1, Mayleigh 50 yard Slow fire Pistol Target. Rings are 10x down to 5.
Grades can only be awarded from registered matches. Matches are registered by notifying the National Chairman a minimum of 1 week in advance and sending the National Chairman the scores from the match within 2 weeks of the completion of the match. The grades are all based on the score of 300 from the National Match or Mayleigh Course.
Currently SSAA Qld has a yearly State Championships and Nationally we have a yearly National Championships and a team to the World Championships at Camp Perry USA every 2 years. This discipline is in its infancy but is proving very popular with Pistol shooters of all skill levels.
07 4122 4526
0403 727 770
* May be shot Subject to Range Approval. Approved firearms must still comply with Qld State Laws & Regulations.