- Post 25 November 2011
- Hits: 5218
Field & Retrieving
A gundogs natural instinct is to retrieve. Retrieving Trials provide a perfect avenue for these dogs to express their natural working abilities, have fun and exercise both themselves and their handlers.
Our sport simulates hunting conditions where the dogs ability to retrieve is tested over various terrain and conditions commonly found in hunting scenarios. The dogs are asked to retrieve Dokken Dead Fowl Trainers (artificial game) from anything from dams or creeks, to thick marsh or sparse paddocks.
The aim of a retrieving trial is to test gundogs under conditions as close as possible to those in natural field shooting.
In competition, the dog will be required to:
- be under control and quiet at all times,
- walk at heel,
- stay on command, until released,
- mark and retrieve thrown items of game, and under direction, seek and retrieve hidden items of game,
- when ordered to retrieve, it should be done quickly, and direct without disturbing too much ground,
- retrieve on land, across water, and in water, and
- return the item of game to the handler, and gently deliver to the hand.
A dog will be judged on its:
- Natural ability for: memory, intelligence, attention, nose, courage, perseverance, style, and eagerness.
- Its training abilities for: marking, steadiness, obedience, controlled response to direction, presentation of delivery, steadiness to shot, and not gun shy.
Dogs are expected to retrieve under all natural working conditions.
Levels Of Competition
- TEST STAKE
Dogs competing in this level are beginners and have never placed in a stake or won a test. (S.S.A.A. UFR Branch runs Test Stake at all trials.)
- INTERMEDIATE STAKE
Intermediate level is for gundogs that have not won any stakes excepting two Intermediate stakes.
- ADVANCED STAKE
Advanced stake is for gundogs that have not won four Advanced or one Open stake.
- OPEN STAKE
Open stake is limited to dogs that have placed in an Intermediate or Advanced stake.
07 3289 9251
0421 230 440
* May be shot Subject to Range Approval. Approved firearms must still comply with Qld State Laws & Regulations.